1 Day Panda and Sichuan Cooking Class
Date: All Year Round
Price: From 199USD/PAX
Trip Focus: Panda + Cooking Class
Status: Open to Booking
Route: Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding-Sichuan Cuisine Museum
Trip Code: P003
The city of Chengdu is known for a variety of different things, two of the most notable of these are the city’s pandas and cuisine. Known widely as the “hometown of the giant panda” and the "heaven of good food", Chengdu is home to the largest captive panda population in the world and is also recognized as a UNESCO international city of gastronomy. In this tour from AbsolutePanda, our experienced team of local guides is well equipped to provide you with the perfect travel experience here in Chengdu. Over the course of one day, you will have the best opportunity to view giant pandas as well as creating and sampling some of the dishes that have made Sichuanese cuisine famous worldwide. For those who wish to see what makes Chengdu unlike any other place in the world, this itinerary is a perfect choice.
• See the largest captive population of pandas in the world at the Chengdu Panda Base.
• Eat like locals. Savor the spice and flavor of authentic Sichuan cuisine in popular local restaurants.
• Visit a local market with a local guide to check the fresh ingredients.
• Learn about Chinese food culture and more stories behind in the Sichuan Cuisine Museum.
• Cooking class experience, create some of Sichuan’s most iconic dishes with the guidance of a local cooking instructor.
Introduction to trip destinations:
Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding
Holding the distinction of the world’s largest panda base, Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding (Chengdu Panda Base) attracts tourists and wildlife enthusiasts worldwide. Conveniently located a short drive away from downtown, this state of the art research facility comfortably houses more pandas that anywhere else at home and abroad. During your visit, you will see pandas ranging from young cubs to lumbering adults as well as the elusive and adorable Red Panda. Additionally, the scenic, garden-like atmosphere of the panda base is especially ideal for Urban Birding like Red-billed Leiothrix, Ruddy Shelduck, Chinese Blackbird, Spotted Dove and so on.
For those looking to learn the age-old techniques behind Sichuan’s world-famous cuisine, this tour provides the perfect primer. Under the close instruction of our resident cooking instructor, your group will learn the ropes of cooking Chengdu’s iconic spicy delicacies. Dishes such as Kung pao Chicken, Homestyle Tofu and Double-boiled Beef are just some of the recipes that have attracted worldwide attention to this city.
Sichuan Cuisine Museum
In Sichuan Cuisine Museum you will discover the secrets of making the famed Doubanjiang（Pixian Chili Bean Paste), a spicy bean paste used in Sichuan cuisine. Then learn more at the Museum where displaying various culinary artifacts and books by authors known for their contributions to Sichuan cuisine. Hear many Sichuan food facts, from the historical developments of the cuisine to the trade and commerce related to this industry. Learn about technological advancements in pottery and cooking techniques and the culinary effects in art and literature, and see maps showing the subtle variations in flavor among the different areas of Sichuan.
How Can We Make This Trip Special？
• Many times of running this itinerary for western panda funs, nature and culture lovers enables us to ensure your trip is enjoyable and comfortable in the hidden area.
• A team of passionate guides specializing in panda and wildlife with rich experiences of guiding and solid knowledge about local cultures and places.
• This trip can be customized to better meet your travel style by centering on a different focus.
• 20-plus years of working in the travel industry and serving travelers from all over the world enable us to know how to make great trips for travelers of different travel styles.
Chengdu Panda Base and Sichuan Cuisine Museum Trip Map
Chengdu Panda Base-Local Market-Sichuan Cuisine Museum
This day-trip is designed for those who love Panda and interested in Chinese cooking during your short stop by Chengdu. Visiting the adorable Chinese national treasure—giant panda and tasting Sichuan local food is the must-do in Chengdu. Chinese food is loved by people all around the world. It is well known for its delicious taste and abundant types of dishes. Sichuan Food is ranked among the top four most famous cuisines in China.
7:00-7:40 Start from your hotel and drive to Chengdu Panda Base.
7:40-12:00 Visit Chengdu Panda Base(Chengdu Research Center of Giant Panda Breeding). Tour the facility to see the largest captive panda population in the world as well as red pandas.
12:00-12:30 Drive to a local restaurant to eat authentic Sichuan Cuisine. This food style has become one of the most famous in China. The distinct flavor of this culinary style features a variety of flavors and key ingredients.
13:30-14:00 Drive to a local market.
14:00-14:30 Explore the Food Market in search of ingredients that will later be seen in the cooking workshop.
14:30-18:00 Visit and make Sichuan-style cuisine of your own in Sichuan Cuisine Museum under the instruction of professional chefs in culinary school.
18:00-19:00 Enjoy the food you have cooked.
19:30 Drive back to your hotel.
1. As one of the four most famous culinary styles in China, Sichuan cuisine has a long and rich history in this country. This itinerary is a sample based on our experience of leading this tour in the past, however, the experience program for Sichuan cuisine can be very limited by time.
2. Please feel free to tell us your ideas and interests, we will modify the itinerary at your request. Our goal is to provide an itinerary that best suits your wishes.
Dates & Prices
Option 1: Copper Panda
For travelers who are looking for a skilled guide who speaks English and show them around. You can choose this price option.
In this tour, the Copper Panda Price Service includes:
1. A guide with fluent English from AbsolutePanda Tour Team;
2. A private car serving the full duration of this tour;
3. The entrance and shuttle tickets listed in this itinerary;
4. Meals as listed in the itinerary;
5. China domestic travel insurance.
The price does not include your discretionary tips to the serving crew (driver and guide) and any other entrance tickets.
1) Claude: A Sichuan local who is fluent in English, passionate, and is well-versed in general knowledge about popular destinations. He can work as a driver and guide for small groups.
2) Melinda: A detail-oriented guide who is fluent in English. Melinda is knowledgeable about general information about our popular tour locations.
3) Michael: An American living in Chengdu, Michael is a passionate guide and is adept at interpreting Chengdu from the perspective of a westerner.
AbsolutePanda firmly believes travel is an art. To ensure every trip traveling with us is a great travel art for our client, the AbsolutePanda team does all we can to consider every possible detail. The choice of hotels is an essential part of making a great trip. After many years of running a travel business, we have built up our network of cooperative hotels at different levels. We understand people are different in the choice of hotels when they travel. If you want to use some specific hotels, please feel free to let us know, we are delighted to book it for you at a competitive price to make the hotel choice better meet your taste, budget and travel style. We can either reserve a hotel with competitive price for you or simply include the hotel into your trip cost if possible. You are welcome to contact us and tell us your requests, we will do our best to create the best travel itinerary for your private use.
• Shangri-la Hotel Chengdu
2.Three Local Brand Hotels:
• Tibet Hotel
• Buddha Zen Hotel
• Chengdu Huanhuahongtai Hotel
3. Three Economic Hotels
• The Hotel Zen Urban Resort
• Minshan Anyi Hotel
• Tianfu Sunshine Hotel
1. How long is the cooking program?
We will spend the whole afternoon at the cooking program. Starting with our visit to the local market all the way to preparing and enjoying the meal! There are famous dishes to choose to learn, and we will advise you on the best combination according to your interest.
2. I know nothing about the cooking, can I still join the program?
Absolutely, we welcome anybody who wants to learn. This class is certain to be a fun and enjoyable experience for guests of any skill level.
3. What are Sichuan peppers?
Sichuanese cuisine has featured the Sichuan pepper for more than a thousand years. In ancient times, the Sichuan pepper was given as tribute to the emperor for its flavorful qualities. The unique aroma and flavor are not hot or pungent like black, white, or chili peppers. Instead, it has slight lemony overtones and creates numbness in the mouth of those who eat them. Most of our guests love the flavor and even want to bring back home.
4. How much time would we need to see the Panda Research Base? I’ve heard it might be possible to hold a panda cub, could you tell me about that?
The time needed to see the Panda Research Base in Chengdu varies due to different interests. Normally, it takes about 2-4 hours to see all the pandas there. The program of holding a panda cub was suspended.
5. What is the process of the Cooking Class?
Under the guidance of our senior chefs, visitors change into chef uniforms and start a cooking class to cook three typical Sichuan dishes, getting sensational experience from firing in the wok, quick stir-frying to a marvelous presentation. Then our chief executive chef will give comments on students’ outcomes and award them with a “rookie master chef ” certificate.
6. How do you learn Sichuan cuisine?
Step 1. Visit the local food market with your local guide to obtain a better understanding of the cooking ingredients.
Step 2. Lecture on the history of Sichuan Cuisine and Chinese food culture.
Step 3. Prepare the pantry and practice cutting skill.
Step 4. Start cooking.
Step 5. Enjoy a good meal with the dishes you have made.
7. What other cooking classes for choice?
We can also offer classes with a local family like Mum's Kitchen to give our clients options based on the kind of experience you want. Mum's kitchen aims to show you the unique culinary art of Sichuan cuisine. You can not only see but make an authentic homemade Sichuan dinner with Mrs. He, a master chef who has the secret family recipes. The local family course will provide a culturally immersive experience. If you are interested in this option you are welcome to email us.
Here is a video for your reference.
Email us if you have any questions. Read our FAQ
Outstanding, personal touch Tour Company.
Having just returned from a three day trip to Chengdu, China using Absolute Panda as our tour Guide I am compelled to write this review. Philip and Bruce, our tour guide, were outstanding in their knowledge, support and attention to detail. Everything, down to the final details, were planned meticulously. We visited the Research Panda Base, enjoyed the "Changing Faces" Show, went down the old lanes and alleyways and parks and had great fun with our Sichuan cookery lesson from Mama, (Philip's mum). The whole team gave that "personal touch" to our trip and we would not have seen half as much if we had guided ourselves. They have convinced us that using the services of a tour guide is essential if you want to see the best a place has to offer. Wholly recommend Absolute Panda. Thank you so much for all you did for us.
--Camaz from Canada
--Patti & Richard
Welcome to email us and be our guests to write the feedback for us. Testimonial of AbsolutePanda
Videos & Photos
A peacock is wandering in the Chengdu Panda Base.
During the breeding season, you have a chance to see the newborn panda cubs.
Bamboo shoots are among the favorites of pandas.
An adult panda is eating bamboo stems.
Find the secret ingredient (Pixian Chili Bean Paste) in the Sichuan Cuisine Museum.
Sichuan Cuisine Museum.
Discover more stories about Sichuan food in the Sichuan Cuisine Museum.